This annual checklist is designed to help practices review the work their PPG is doing and make sure their processes are working effectively.
You can find more advice on how to make the most of your PPG here.
- Do you have a clinical champion from the practice?
- Agree schedule of meetings for the year and schedule time for pre-meets in order to ensure actions coming out of meetings are completed.
- Schedule time for strategic planning. Consider the following:
- What are the main aims of PPG – what do you want to achieve?
- What are some key areas of patient education that could be of benefit and what speakers could you find?
- How could being part of a PCN help? Can PPG activity be shared across the network?
- What has worked well and less well in the past – what do you want to encourage more of? What do you want to avoid?
- Do you have a chair, or do you need to recruit a new one? This could be clinician or practice manager or a patient.
- Is a steering group is needed?
- Are your terms of reference and ground rules for PPG and steering group up to date? If they are changed, do all PPG members know?
- Do you need to recruit more members to your PPG?
- Review advertising and marketing of PPG. Consider the following:
- Notice boards
- Patient leaflets
- New patient registration forms
- Sign up forms handed out by clinicians and reception
- Review process for registering interest in PPG. Consider the following:• How to word consent forms – what are patients signing up to, how often will they be contacted and where will this information be logged?
- How often and who will update the information?
- How can patients change their mind and opt out of PPG communications?
Review processes for gathering and acting on feedback and how this can be shared with PPG. Consider the following:
- Friends and Family Test
- Google reviews
- NHS Choices
- Practice website
- Complaints and significant events
- Review processes for communicating PPG activity with wider patient population. Consider the following:
- ‘you said… we did’ notice board
- Patient leaflet